Koi fish ponds add life and beauty to a home. It relaxes people when they watch koi fish in vibrant colors swim gracefully across the pond. A pond that has aquatic plants add more color and balance to the pond ecosystem. The challenge pond owners have is the complex task of regular maintenance. For the newbie, it can get confusing and overwhelming.
If you have a koi pond, one part of the system that you can’t live without is a pond pump.You wouldn’t want your pond to turn into a swamp filled with waste and mosquito’s would you? The process of choosing the best koi pond pump can be tedious due to the number of koi pond pumps available in the market today.
No need to worry, we’ve got you covered. We share with you a list of the top koi pond pumps that can fit your needs.
Waterfall and Stream by Little Giant
- Little Giant Direct Drive Waterfall Pump With 16 Foot Cord 4280gph Ideal for use in waterfall and stream applications, this powerful direct-drive pump features a unique dual-discharge design for operation of two water features simultaneously
- This pump is extremely versatile, able to be used vertically or horizontally
- Produces greater starting torque and flow pressure than comparable magnetic drive submersible pumps
- Dual discharge waterfall pump
- 4280 GPH capacity
Don’t let the size of this pump fool you, it packs a powerful motor and it is easy to install. Pond owners would love this pump which is perfect for a design that has a stream or waterfalls. Little Giant has come up with a powerful direct-drive pump capable of pushing 4280 gallons per hour.
Do you have a waterfall that is 30 feet high? Not a problem, this pump has a 16-foot cord that allows you to use it either vertically or horizontally. With its dual discharge design, the pump can be used to operate two water features simultaneously. It can pump water for the pond and waterfall at the same time. This saves you space and money, you don’t need to buy another pump with a single function.
You also get a rust-resistant body with a silent motor.
The Premium Dual Discharge Pump by Little Giant
- POND WATER PUMP: A pump is the heartbeat of your waterfall or stream, and this Little Giant 3500 GPH 673-Watt Dual Discharge Waterfall Pump is the perfect heart for water feature.
- STREAM PUMP: The powerful, direct-drive pump produces mind-blowing starting torque and flow pressure than comparable magnetic drive submersible pumps. Corrosion-resistant body designed for non-potable submersible use.
- DUAL DISCHARGE PUMP: With a unique dual-discharge design, this pump allows for operation of 2 water features simultaneously. It can be used in ponds, waterfalls, and streams with up to 2,400 gallons of water and a maximum pumping height of 29 feet.
- VERSATILITY: It is extremely versatile and able to be used vertically or horizontally. It is efficient, oil-less and safe for use in your pond.
- WATERFALL PUMP WARRANTY: It must be plugged into a proper 120-Volt outlet in order to keep your water moving. It has 3500 GPH capacity, 1-1/4-Inch female pipe thread discharge; 1-1/4-inch barbed adaptor discharge. It provides 3-year warranty.
For ponds that need a dual discharge pump with lower capacity, this pump is for you. You get a motor with 1900 GPH capacity that can pump water from a height of 20 feet. This model also has a 16-foot cord and is designed for both vertical and horizontal use.
The TetraPond Debris-Handling
For pond owners who have debris that can clog up pump filters, we have a solution for you. With a rugged design that makes it resist blockage of up to ¼ inch, it is perfect for ponds with a size of 1000 to 1500 gallons. It can power a waterfall up to 13 feet and features a ceramic shaft that is corrosion-resistant for longer life. You can now spend more time enjoying your pond rather than cleaning your filters.
Total Pond 1200 GPH Waterfall Pump
- The 1200 GPH Waterfall Pump is ideal for small waterfalls up to 5 ft. tall.
- With a maximum pumping height of 14 ft. at 0 GPH, this energy-efficient pump helps power a waterfall.
- All TotalPond Waterfall Pumps have a back-spitting feature to cool the pump.
- The internal design of the pump allows larger debris to flow out of the discharge and finer particles to flow out of the rear of the pump. This ensures that the shafts and bearings are being continuously cleaned.
- Includes a mesh barrier pumpshield prevent debris from clogging the pump.
A great partner for ponds with smaller waterfalls up to 5 feet in height. It features a powerful wet bearing motor that can move a large amount of water. The 1200 GPH is an energy saver and surprisingly quiet. It also has a pump shield to ward of debris. Bask in the sounds of nature without the distracting noise of a pump motor buzzing.
Tetra Pond Water Garden Pump
- Start with this pump when creating your own backyard pond
- Magnetic drive water garden pump
- Powers waterfall, filters, and fountain heads
- Energy efficient, UL listed, 3 Year Limited Warranty
- Select the appropriate size for your pond
Highly recommended for newbies in the koi collecting hobby. An affordable pump that is powerful, versatile and easy to install. It can power waterfalls, filters and fountain heads. An energy-efficient pump that hobbyists would enjoy.
The Patriot Koi Pond Pump KP550
- These pumps are ideal for in-pond use due to the oversized intake area. Extremely energy-efficient magnetic drive technology is an ideal choice for fountains, waterfalls and most ponds with near silent operation and extremely low operating cost.
- Asynchronous drive motor, that's engineered for 24-hour continuous use and equipped with an overload sensor to prevent a burnout, can be controlled with variable speed controller (not included) that permits you to increase or decrease pump flow as needed!
- Intake screen prevents clogging while allowing the vortex impeller to pass solids, up to 0.25 of an inch! We've tested these units with over 50% intake blockage with no reduction in flow!
- Contains no oil and is completely safe for fish, wildlife, and aquatic plants!
- This pump has an output of 1.5" with a max-flow of 3,200 GPH that has an output of 1.5" with a max-head of 21'. Pump motor operates on 192-watts at 1.60 amps with a 30' power cord. Backed by a 2-Year Manufacturer's Warranty!
For pond owners who appreciate energy savings, this pump is the most efficient of the lot. It has the latest hybrid drive technology that combines a direct drive and magnetic drive combo for the best energy efficiency. You can use the pump for 24 hours without any problems. There is an overload switch that keeps it from overheating.
Hydrofarm Active Aqua Submersible
- Recommended for 100+ gallon reservoirs
- 1110 gallons per hour
- Indoor / outdoor use
- Oil free / environmentally safe
- 1 Year Warranty
A lightweight pump with a sleek design that is perfect for different types of ponds. It can pump 1000 GPH and is ideal for ponds with 100 gallons capacity.
PonicsPump PP40006 Submersible
- COMPLETE SELECTION: We have 8 sizes & 19 models. This model has a high quality 16 foot waterproof cord. A similar model with a 6 foot cord is available. Comes with adjustable input flow-rate screen and 3 outlet adaptors for 1/2", 5/8" and 3/4" inside diameter tubing.
- DURABLE QUALITY: Our Polished Aluminum Oxide Ceramic Impeller Shaft insures long pump life because it is non-corrodible and more than 3 times as hard as stainless steel. Epoxy Resin Encasement of key internal motor components prevents unwanted conductivity and corrosion of metal parts. This pump incorporates a magnetic wet-rotor design, so there is no seal to fail that would damage the pump motor.
- EFFICIENT: Neodymium Iron Boron (NdFeB) Magnets are used in all our electric motors because they are the most powerful permanent magnetic materials commercially available and increase energy efficiency. Water-Lubricated Nitrile Bushings are used because they possess a very low coefficient of friction, have inherent vibration-dampening qualities and are non-polluting.
- SAFE & EASY: Safe for fish with no exposed copper and oil free. Easy to clean with no tools required to disassemble and clean filter/impeller. Our SJTW Electric Cord is waterproof, 18# gauge copper wire, molded plug with ground, heavy duty flexible vinyl jacket, resists oil/grease/moisture, abrasion resistant and very good flexibility at all temperatures.
- SPECIFICATIONS: Salt or fresh water ready with flow Rates of 793 Gallons Per Hour (GPH) @ 0' Lift; 775 GPH @ 1' Lift; 761 GPH @ 2' Lift; 726 GPH @ 3' Lift; 687 GPH @ 4' Lift; 660 GPH @ 5' Lift; 608 GPH @ 6' Lift; 528 GPH @ 7' Lift; 449 GPH @ 8' Lift; 330 GPH @ 9' Lift; 211 GPH @ 10' Lift; 79 GPH @ 11' Lift; Max Lift - 11' 6". Dimensions are 4.84" x 2.72" x 3.82". 120VAC - 60 WATTS - 60Hz. 1 year limited warranty when sold by FasterHarvest (previously PonicsFarms)
Popular for being the most versatile pumps in the market, it has a ceramic shaft for a longer lifespan. It comes with a 6-foot waterproof cord and many outlet adapters for tubing. It works well in fresh and saltwater and is safe for aquatic plants.
Which Pond Pump Should You Buy?
Pond pumps should be chosen based on your specific needs. For Koi fish ponds a powerful pump is needed so that water can circulate more. Pumps are designed with different specialties, there are pumps that are great for waterfalls like the Waterfall and Stream by Little Giant, while others are better for water aeration. Budget is also a consideration, especially for newbies. The TetraPond Water Garden is a wonderful option for its price and energy efficiency.