Koi fish has been synonymous with fish ponds for many years now. People from all over the world have jumped on the koi collecting bandwagon and the numbers just keep getting higher. The beauty and spectacular array of colors of koi swimming around a pond is simply a sight for sore eyes. Creating a place that your family and friends would find visually appealing is one of the perks of having a koi fish pond. There are many pond styles to choose from and we assure you that It can take your landscaping to a higher level.
Guests can interact with your fish or just watch them as they swim around in their own habitat. A truly relaxing atmosphere where your fish can become like pets. We share some of the most beautiful koi pond ideas that you can apply for your home.
- 18 Amazing Pond Concepts to Recreate in Your Garden
- Pond with Bordered Paving
- Adding Ornaments to your Pond
- A Koi Pond where you can Entertain Guests
- Fish Towers
- See-through windows
- Triangular Shaped ponds
- Indoor Koi Ponds
- Rustic look
- Stock Tank Koi Pond
- Pond from Tractor or Car Tires
- Garden Pond Below Deck
- DIY Yard Pond
- Boxed Pond
- Miniature Pond
- Entrance Koi Ponds
- Night Time Pond Ideas
- Pond with Glass Wall
- Minimalist Pond Design
- Pond Ideas Conclusion
18 Amazing Pond Concepts to Recreate in Your Garden
Pond with Bordered Paving
Your koi pond blends well with your garden and they can become an extension of your garden bed with numerous aquatic plants that add beauty and color to the landscape. Adding bordered paving of natural stone completes the transition from your natural garden to your koi pond. A rock bordered puddle is a sight to behold especially if you view them from above.
Decorating your Pond Area
Adding Ornaments to your Pond
It is common to add waterfalls and fountains to your koi pond but why stop there? You can also add ornaments like vases, large planters and other pond decors that will showcase your own personal touch. The choice of ornaments should match the overall look that you want to achieve. For a more oriental zen look, adding water bamboo would enhance the theme.
Mixing and matching until you get the right look will surely make your pond unique.
A Koi Pond where you can Entertain Guests
Imagine spending the night with your close friends and family with a koi pond in the middle of your social spot? You get the feeling of being in your own private island as you sit back and relax, light up a bonfire and enjoy delicious food. You can add a stream or a bridge as you blend your koi pond with your backyard space.
For those who want a more eclectic kind of vibe, fish towers are your best bet. Using a clear glass container that can be supported is great to use as a viewing window. Surprise your guests with this new floating observation tower, your koi will appear like they are in zero gravity as they swim above the surface of your pond.
A unique addition to your pond, the glass column is open at the bottom so that koi can swim up and out of it.
- Add A Unique Experience To Your Pond
- View Your Fish Above Water
- Monitor Your Fish's Daily Health
- Floats On Pond Surface
- Large size - 28" Diameter
Wouldn’t it be great to see eye to eye with your koi? Turn your pond into an aquarium by using plexiglass and get to see the world beneath the surface. Watch your koi as they take a nap or see them chase after the food that you just gave them for lunch.
Triangular Shaped ponds
There are no rules when it comes to the shape of your pond. Go for a unique look by designing your pond in a triangular or heart-shaped fashion. If you have a space in your backyard that is not roundish or rectangular, why not go out of the box and add a pond with a unique shape.
Adding a Bridge to your Pond
- ENHANCE YOUR GARDEN: Place Outsunny's backyard bridge over a small stream or garden walkway and add a decorative touch to your outdoor surroundings.
- ADD BEAUTY: The elegant arched footbridge frame adds instant and classic charm with its traditionally designed walkway.
- SAFE DESIGN: There are curved side rails with three posts on each side of the bridge for added safety and convenience.
- SOLID CONSTRUCTION: The wood has a stained finish to prevent rot, cracking, and splitting.
- STRONG WEIGHT CAPACITY: The durable fir wood construction is designed to hold up to 400 pounds of weight.
Indoor Koi Ponds
- Create a beautifully planted container water garden in almost any setting -- no shovel required
- Square shape with textured gray slate finish; can be used indoors or outdoors
- Lightweight, durable fiberglass-resin composite provides all of the natural beauty of real slate
- Won't fade or chip; ages like real stone
- Does not include water pump; measures 27 x 14-1/2 inches (WxH); holds up to 27 gallons
Ponds are no longer limited to being outdoor additions to your landscape, they can add an elegant look to your indoor space as well. Simple and clean lines, shapes and colors can give a modern pond design that is visually appealing.
Go for a combination of walkway, waterfalls, koi pond and stepping stones to give your pond a simple and rustic look. Low and wide walls can allow you so sit next to your precious fish.
This type of idea is a respite from the trending modern design.
Stock Tank Koi Pond
- Ideal for all your Livestock watering needs; can also be used in the garden as a planter
- Built to endure the most severe farm and ranch conditions - corrosion resistant, Heavy zinc coating assures long life
- Rigid sidewalls have both ribs and corrugations for maximum strength and heavy Galvanized bottoms
- Set of 3 tanks, nested together: 1 "a-size (100 gallon) tank", 1 "b-size (90 gallon) tank", and 1 "C-size (80 gallon) tank"
- Heavy, reinforced Steel tube Rolled into the top lip for added strength and durability
Do you have a stock tank in your backyard and you still can’t think of a way to make good use of them? The good news is, you can turn it into a relaxing and beautiful container pond fit for koi fish. A 2-foot deep tank would be great for fish and water lilies. Be sure to add submerged plants to keep a natural balance in the water. These oxygenators help keep your fish alive and keep algae from multiplying rapidly.
Pond from Tractor or Car Tires
Who would have thought that you can make a pond out of old and worn out tires? Tire ponds are a good addition to your outdoor living space. You need to remember to choose an area that is level and firm. You won’t be able to move these pond tires anywhere soon. Two tires on top of one another should do the trick and once done you can add plants and fish.
- Set of 2 16X6.50-8, 16x6.50x8, 16-6.50-8 Lawn Garden Mower Tractor Tire
- Type: Tubeless; Tire only - Wheel not included
- Tread: Turf Master; 4 Ply
- Turf Tech tread is made to give you better traction on grassy surfaces, especially on hills where the potential for slippage exists, without causing harm to the turf itself.
- This tire is a popular replacement for many kind of lawn mower tires, riding lawn mower tires, lawn tractor tires, garden tractor tires, garden tractor pulling tires, and more.
Garden Pond Below Deck
This easy to build pond is perfect for DIY enthusiasts. You don’t need experience and expensive tools to build your garden pond with a level boardwalk. You just need to dig and do some simple assembly and voila! A garden pond and deck of your own in just a few days.
Check out the Family HandyMan for detailed step by step instructions.
DIY Yard Pond
- Avonlea non toxic rigid pond liner
- 200 GPH pond pump with flow control
- 2 fountain heads and 12" DIVERTER and telescopic riser
- Superglo LED light
- 2 silk water lilies
Building a pond in your front yard can add a whole lot of character to your landscape. If you have time during the weekend you can embark on this DIY project and turn your yard into a peaceful oasis.
Visit Momdot.com for step by step instructions
- BUILD A SERENE SANCTUARY: Create an outside fountain and waterfall with this large 24" adjustable height design. Raise the arms for melodic sounds into a garden pond. Lower them for soothing splashes on a backyard porch.
- PERSONALIZE THIS DIY FOUNTAIN: This pet-friendly bamboo fountain kit does not include a container, so you have total control of its layout. Add a barrel with hyacinths for an amazing wine or whiskey barrel water fountain with one-of-a-kind Zen serenity.
- SOOTHING SOUNDS, STURDY DESIGN: The spout is handcrafted from sleek, supple Tam Vong bamboo, which is stronger than steel by weight! This means it resists splitting or cracking better than other bamboo. It also absorbs excess noise, leaving only the relaxing sounds you want.
- ENJOY TRANQUIL TONES IN MINUTES: This bamboo water fountain kit includes a submersible pump, tubing, and bamboo fountain that you can set up in as little as 5 minutes on the edge of a 28" or greater diameter container. Place in an antique tub and add large, smooth rocks to make a natural stone humidifier.
- ENGINEERED FOR LONG LIFE: The included USA-standard 110-Volt, 100 GPH pump is strong and quiet for its size. When maintained and cleaned regularly, it provides long-lasting tranquility.
If digging in the ground is not your thing, consider a boxed pond design for your koi fish. Ponds don’t have to be in the ground all the time. Building one above ground can add beauty to your backyard without the hassle of shovel work. It will only take you a few days to construct and is less of a hazard compared to in-ground ponds.
Visit the Family HandyMan website to get step by step instructions on how to build and costs involved.
- Create a beautifully planted container water garden in almost any setting -- no shovel required
- Lightweight, durable fiberglass-resin composite provides all of the natural beauty of stone
- Desert granite finish ages like real stone and never fades or chips
- Can be used indoors or outdoors
- Does not include water pump; measures 32 x 14 inches (WxH); holds up to 20 gallons
A koi pond doesn’t have to be huge and extravagant. A small pond in your backyard will do for first-time hobbyists. Fancy ponds cost a lot, enjoying your koi without breaking the bank is what the Gardening Know How website provides.
Miniature-Pond lets you enjoy the sound of water and fish without taking up a huge portion of your backyard.
Entrance Koi Ponds
If you want to set the mood as visitors enter your home, a koi pond can set the tone for you. Front doors can be plain and boring. Impress your guests as they are greeted by your extensive koi fish collection.
A koi pond that leads into your house is an elegant addition to your home landscape.
Night Time Pond Ideas
Adding lights to your pond design takes your pond to a whole new level. Candle spheres are a great addition to your night pond as they provide subtle light.
Ponds simply look amazing when you light them up at night.
Pond Lighting Suggestions
Pond with Glass Wall
A wall that features colorful and playful koi fish takes planning to implement. Choose glass panels that are easy to clean, they should contain less iron and minerals.
Aquarium builders usually sell low iron glass panels.
Minimalist Pond Design
Viewing your koi after a tiring day from work can be a relaxing experience. Your mind and body will find peace as you listen to water rushing and seeing the variety of colors as fish swim by. Going minimalist is easier and is lighter on the pocket. Natural decorations like trees, stones, and fountains can make your minimalist pond look stunning.
Pond Ideas Conclusion
The cost of building a koi pond can be quite on the expensive side but you should think about the benefits that you get in return.
Maintenance can be a challenge for some owners because there are predators that can eat your koi when you are not looking. You also need to feed them on a regular basis and keep tabs on the water quality of your pond. They can get sick and need extra care so you can nurse them back to health.
We are sure that collecting koi fish is worth it because many newbies start collecting and building their own ponds. If your budget permits it would be great if you hired a pro to do the job for you but if you have the experience and love to DIY you would surely love to work on these projects.